Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Testing out NEW things!

Yesterday and today I spent time working with podcasting. I am trying to stay on task with what I learned in class with David Jakes in that I want to use this technology to extend student learning outside of the walls of the classroom. I couldn't recall the name of the program David shared with us in class (Luke demonstrated it for us), so I went with Gcast.com. I telephoned in my comments and with the push of a button, the comments were posted! How easy is that??
It was a tad more complicated than that because I HATE the sound of my voice. ;-) I started over several times and posted and re-posted. One thing about Gcast is I couldn't find a "HELP" link, so I was flying solo. If anyone has done podcasting there, or at a similar site I have a few questions. One is, once someone subscribes to the podcast, can they see ALL of the files, including the errors? It seems they were all showing up in my RSS reader. That could be rather embarassing! ;-)
And I am also looking for any TIPS and TRICKS you may have to share with me regarding podcasting.

Cindy

4 comments:

David said...

Hey you.

Try using Evoca.com, that's what Luke demonstrated, and works the same way Gcast does. When you create the podcast using your cell phone, and then go and log into the Evoca web site, you can see your recordings (displayed as EvocaTell). From that interface, you can delete the podcasts you wish. Like Gcast, Evoca produces an RSS feed for the podcasts, as well as embed code (Javascript) that you can copy and paste into other 2.0 tools, like your blog or pbWiki. When you do this, a small player displays allowing the user to click and hear the podcast.

Check out PodcastPeople as well as my delicious podcast tag:
http://del.icio.us/djakes/podcasting

Hope you are doing well!
David

David said...

http://connect.educause.edu/blog/jklittle/podcastingateachingw/44653?time=1183682998
Podcasting

Cindy said...

David,
I was so surprised to see your post. Who knew? ;-)
Thanks for reading my post and getting back to me. Somehow I totally missed getting signed up for Evoca! ;-)
As I said, I am trying to make use of the TOOLS. I left class really PUMPED! Thanks for providing the "fuel". I will give Evoca a try as well. I have "BIG PLANS" for making use of podcasting with my students. Looks like Evoca has a 15 minute limit. Hmmm. Thanks for your help. I am sure I'll be asking more questions later. ;-)

Hope all is well with you too!

Cindy

Cindy said...

David,
Thanks for the link! You're the best!

Cindy